Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Regretsy by April Winchell (review)


ABOUT THIS BOOK (taken from the Random House, Inc. website)

HANDMADE? IT LOOKS LIKE YOU MADE IT WITH YOUR FEET.

A chicken poncho. A painting of a corn dog. A clock made out of an old “mostly clean” cheese grater. All this and more await you in the pages of Regretsy, a veritable sideshow of handcrafts gone wrong. Based on the eponymous hit blog and arranged in categories such as Décor, Pet Humiliation, and Christmas, Regretsy showcases the best of the worst, ranging from the hilariously absurd to the purely horrifying. Each page of this jaw-dropping volume features the actual seller’s online listing with a light coat of snarky commentary to give it a good shellacking. So join us as we descend into handmade hell and gawk, gasp, and marvel at the disturbingly odd artifacts that Regretsy has collected for your viewing pleasure, proving that you can never have too much of a bad thing.

MY REVIEW

Oh mercy, this book is so funny! It is truly astounding what people are willing to spend money on! I had a great time reading Regretsy- many of the descriptions made me laugh out loud. I should mention there is some swearing and some of the crafts are on the crude side so if you are easily offended than this is not the book for you.

I really enjoyed the section at the end of the book called "the last word: the sellers speak". So so so very funny. I think my personal favourite is this quote from page 137:

"I couldn't help but wonder why Regretsy had chosen me. After giving the whole thing some very careful thought I asked myself, "Could it possibly be because you're peddling alien dolls using walnuts for their heads?" - Kathleen Paquette, MyCrafts R 4U

If you are looking for a good laugh than this just may be the perfect book for you. :)

You can find the Regretsy website at www.regretsy.com.

Thanks so much to RandomHouse.com for sending me a review copy of this book.

No comments:

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011