by Emmett James
Product DescriptionSet in Croydon, South London, in the 1980s, Admit One details how self-deprecating writer Emmett James escaped from the pains of adolescence by going to the cinema. Through wry wit and observation, the writer reflects, obsesses, and rages about film and its correlation to our pasts. Life soon imitates art, and the narrator finds that his true calling is in transcendence from one side of the screen to the other. He decides to leave England for the only place where he can realize his dream of becoming an actor--Hollywood.
We follow the narrator on his numerous adventures: as he jumps from forgery to pornography to crashing the Academy Awards under the alias of a nominated writer. All the while, the films that inspired each tale contextualize this humorous collection of stories. The narrator ultimately provides a unique insight into the fascinating industry of film, eventually himself stumbling into the biggest box-office grossing film of all time.
About the AuthorEmmett James spent his childhood in Croydon, South London and finished his schooling in Cambridge, England. Studying acting at Strasberg Actors Studio in London he began working in theater, eventually moving to Los Angeles in the early nineties to pursue his acting career in film. For over a decade he has worked extensively as a professional actor, winning a prestigious ADA as well as appearing in Emmy, Golden Globe, SAG, and Academy Award winning work. In addition to acting he has produced, taught, and directed film, stage and television productions in Hollywood. From a family of authors including J.B. Priestley, he continues to live and work in Hollywood.
I was really excited when this book arrived because I LOVE getting books that are signed by the author! Plus I've never had someone in a real-life movie sign anything for me before! So thank-you to Emmett James for taking the time to sign my book- using my name and everything :).
I really enjoyed this book. Emmitt James' sense of humour cracks me up. Admit One is a very easy read and my attention was captured right from page one. I appreciated the author's honesty about his life experiences- the good, the bad, and the ugly. The many references to various movies that I grew up with made this book a very fun read. I am happy to recommend this book!
Thanks to Lisa at Online Publicist for sending me a copy of the book for review and for sponsoring this giveaway.
Would you like to win a brand new, hard cover copy of this book?
*there are two very easy ways to get your first entry in this contest:
1. Become a fan of Admit One on Facebook
AND / OR
2. Follow Emmett James on Twitter
*if you are not on Facebook or Twitter just leave me a comment telling me why on earth not :) and something interesting you've discovered about Emmett James*
For additional entries you can do any of the following- be sure to LEAVE A SEPARATE COMMENT for each thing that you do!:
- Subscribe to this blog via email (there is a handy link to do that on my sidebar)
- Subscribe to this blog via the reader of your choice
- Follow this blog on google friend connect
- Add my button to your site or add me to your blogroll and leave me a link.
- Follow me on Twitter and tweet this giveaway (as many times as you like without annoying all your followers!) Use @Tarasview in your tweet if you would like me to retweet for you.
- Become a Fan of my main blog on Facebook
- Follow this blog on Networked blogs on Facebook
- Share this giveaway on your blog, Facebook or another social networking site of your choosing
- email a couple friends about this giveaway
- stumble, digg, tag, bookmark, vote up, thumbs up, favourite, or anything else you can think to do for this site or giveaway (as many as you like- there is a "share" bar at the bottom of this post to make this easier)
- publicize this giveaway in any way on any site and let me know that you did (ex. adding it to a Mr. Linky on a giveaway site etc.)
This giveaway is open to readers in Canada & the USA. I will choose a winner on April 23, 2010.
Winner will be chosen with random.org and notified by email. Winner will have 48 hours to reply to my email or I will choose a new winner.
Don't forget to enter my other giveaways while you are here:
- Win $100 in Gift Cards HERE. (ends April 27, open to CANADA ONLY)
- Win How To Grow Practically Everything HERE. (ends April 9, open to CANADA ONLY)
- Win What's In The Bible? DVD's by Phil Vischer HERE. (ends April 15, open to Canada/USA)
- Win a $25 box of surprise hair accessories HERE. (ends April 22, open WORLDWIDE)
- Win a $100 GC to Tea Collection (kid's clothes) HERE. (ends April 29, open to USA ONLY)
- Win a $75 GC to Novica HERE. (ends April 26, open to Canada/USA)
- Win Sworn to Protect by Diann Mills HERE. (ends April 24, open to Canada/USA)