Monday, March 15, 2010

The Voice New Testament

Book Description (taken from the Thomas Nelson website)

The Voice™ is the product of the best minds in this emerging generation of Christian leaders. Together they are helping young people fall in love with the Scriptures. Instead of confining God’s Word in the framework of biblical criticism, The Voice™ highlights the beauty of God’s communication to His people. In The Voice™, the voice of God is heard as clearly as when He first revealed His truth. This is the first-ever complete New Testament in The Voice™ translation. Writers include Chris Seay, Lauren Winner, Brian McLaren, Greg Garrett, David B. Capes, and others.

Features include:

  • Bronze, highlighted text
  • Screenplay-like format, ideal for public readings and group studies
  • Devotional commentary
  • Book introductions

Thanks so much to Thomas Nelson Publishers for sending me a review copy of this book.
I review for BookSneeze


MY REVIEW

Overall I really liked this "retelling" version of the bible. I especially liked the narrative style of writing and the way dialogue between people was presented. It made conversations much easier to read and follow. I found The Voice very easy to read although occasionally the extra wording used to explain things was a little cumbersome.

I did find the repeated use of phrases like "Liberating King" and "John the Immerser" annoying. At one point it actually annoyed me to the point that I stopped reading. I'm also not convinced that "Liberating King" is any easier to understand than "Jesus the Messiah".

I appreciated that The Voice put extra information in boxes in-line instead of at the bottom or in a margin somewhere as a footnote. I found the information way easier to read when I didn't have to keep searching for the right tiny little footnote.

I think The Voice is a very valid option for anyone looking to have a fresh look at the bible.

No comments:

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011