Monday, March 15, 2010

India


INDIA: People, Place, Culture, History

So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds. Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked.
—Mark Twain


Check out the  DK feature on India


“[A] concisely yet informatively narrated and gorgeously colorful pictorial survey…” --Booklist

Just 60 years after winning independence from British rule, India’s economy is booming and the nation is fast becoming a leading global power. With a population of a billion people, India’s society is as varied as its awe-inspiring landscape. Home to a dizzying array of languages, ethnic groups, beliefs, and lifestyles, India can seem overwhelming in its complexity. India takes the lid off this cultural melting pot, showing how past events have shaped this diverse but unified nation, where tradition and modernity successfully coexist. Through stunning photography and insightful text, India offers an eye-opening, thought-provoking, and authoritative visual guide to one of the world’s most exciting and vibrant nations.

Awards and Notable lists:

NCSS Notable Social Studies Trade Books (2008)

 -information taken from the DK Canada website

MY REVIEW

India is a truly beautiful book. It is 376 pages of amazing pictures and fascinating information. I can't even begin to tell you all the things I learned from this book. The photography really is incredible. Even my kids enjoyed looking at the pictures with me. I had no idea how diverse the landscape of India is. Reading this book made me want to visit India so I could see it in person!

I think this book would be perfect for anyone with an interest in India . It would make a lovely coffee-table book too. When I left the book out in my home every visitor we had started to look through it as soon as they saw it!




You can take a look inside this fabulous book HERE.

Thanks so much to DK Canada for sending me a review copy of this book.

1 comment:

kerala tourism said...

Kerala is so fantastic and gorgeous travel and tourism place. Everyday, thousands of people come here across the India.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011