Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Organize Your ADD/ADHD Child


Organize Your ADD/ADHD Child
A Practical Guide for Parents
Cheryl R. Carter

Living with ADD/ADHD can be hectic, and parenting a child with this disorder can feel like an uphill struggle when even the simplest of tasks causes havoc. This book addresses the issues of organization and time management in relation to ADD/ADHD, suggesting practical ways of organizing your child's day and turning chaos into calm.

Accommodating short attention spans and short fuses, Cheryl Carter shows how, by using the F.I.R.S.T method (Fun, Individualism, Rules, Simplicity and Time management), even the most hyperactive and easily distracted of children can be taught to make their bed, pack their school bag, and generally get organized! The author recognizes that children hate anything that is boring, and finds fun ways around even the most mundane of tasks. Her no-nonsense, step-by-step strategies, in combination with positive affirmations and realistic demands, will get ADD/ADHD children organized, and from A to B without a hitch.

This book is a must-have for any flagging parent struggling to structure their child's life (and indeed their own!). It will also be of interest to family members, teachers, and anybody close to a child with ADD/ADHD.


MY REVIEW

I love love love this book. I have done a ton of research on ADHD in the 8 years I've had my son but I learned a lot from this book. I found it incredibly informative in a very parent-friendly way. The author writes in a very easy to understand, down to earth way. I felt like I would really enjoy talking to this author in person. I really appreciated the very practical steps and methods described in this book. I highly recommend this book to anyone with an ADHD kid in their life.




Thanks so much to Jessica Kingsley Publishers for sending me a review copy of this book.

No comments:

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011