Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bringing Up Girls * review *

Bringing Up Girls by Dr. James Dobson

Bringing Up Boys by parenting expert and best-selling author Dr. James Dobson was, and continues to be, a runaway hit, selling more than 2 million copies to date. Now, Dr. Dobson presents his highly anticipated companion book: Bringing Up Girls. Based on extensive research, and handled with Dr. Dobson’s trademark down-to-earth approach, Bringing Up Girls will equip parents like you to face the challenges of raising your daughters to become healthy, happy, and successful women who overcome challenges specific to girls and women today and who ultimately excel in life.

MY REVIEW

I'm not sure what to say about this book... it was long. Really long. And it took me months to get through and even then I found myself skipping large chunks because they didn't apply to our lives yet. My daughter is only 3 and a huge section of this book is about teen girls. I don't want to deal with that yet.

I liked a lot of the advice in the parts I read. Dobson writes from the typical traditional Christian position so there was certainly nothing offensive... but none of it was really a surprise to me either. I don't think I learned anything new from reading it. Dobson does write in a fairly down-to-earth way and his points are easy to read.

I don't think I disagreed with anything he said but nothing really made me say "wow!" either. It is a decent parenting book but if you've read a bunch of parenting books already than you probably won't get much out of this one. However if you are just starting out on your parenting-related reading than this could be a really good one for you.



Thanks so much to the Tyndale Blog Network for sending me a copy of this book to review.

No comments:

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011