By Ernessa T. Carter
32 Candles is the slightly twisted, utterly romantic, and deftly wry story of Davie Jones, who, if she doesn’t stand in her own way, just might get the man of her dreams.Davie—an ugly duckling growing up in small-town Mississippi—is positive her life couldn’t be any worse. She has the meanest mother in the South, possibly the world, and on top of that, she’s pretty sure she’s ugly. Just when she’s resigned herself to her fate, she sees a movie that will change her life—Sixteen Candles. But in her case, life doesn’t imitate art. Tormented endlessly in school with the nickname "Monkey Night," and hopelessly in unrequited love with a handsome football player, James Farrell, Davie finds that it is bittersweet to dream of Molly Ringwald endings. When a cruel school prank goes too far, Davie leaves the life she knows and reinvents herself in the glittery world of Hollywood—as a beautiful and successful lounge singer in a swanky nightclub.
Davie is finally a million miles from where she started—until she bumps into her former obsession, James Farrell. To Davie’s astonishment, James doesn’t recognize her, and she can’t bring herself to end the fantasy. She lets him fall as deeply in love with her as she once was with him. But is life ever that simple? Just as they’re about to ride off into the sunset, the past comes back with a vengeance, threatening to crush Davie’s dreams—and break her heart again.
With wholly original characters and a cinematic storyline, 32 Candles introduces Ernessa T. Carter, a new voice in fiction with smarts, attitude, and sassiness to spare.
I am honestly not sure what to say about 32 Candles... I found it interesting and it kept my attention but I didn't love reading it. The characters are certainly intriguing and I think the book was well written but there was just something about it that kept me from really enjoying it.
Thanks so much to Harper Collins for sending me a review copy of this book.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO WIN THIS BOOK?
Just tell me you would like to win! That's it!
* BONUS ENTRIES*
For additional entries you can do any of the following- be sure to LEAVE A SEPARATE COMMENT for each thing that you do!
- Subscribe to this blog via email (there is a handy link to do that on my sidebar)
- Subscribe to this blog via the reader of your choice
- Follow this blog on google friend connect
- Add my button to your site or add me to your blogroll and leave me a link.
- Follow me on Twitter and tweet this giveaway (as many times as you like without annoying all your followers!) Use @Tarasview in your tweet if you would like me to retweet for you.
- Become a Fan of my main blog on Facebook
- Follow this blog on Networked blogs on Facebook
- Share this giveaway on your blog, Facebook or another social networking site of your choosing
- email a couple friends about this giveaway
- stumble, digg, tag, bookmark, vote up, thumbs up, favourite, mixx, kirtsy, or anything else you can think to do for this site or giveaway (as many as you like- there is a "share" bar at the bottom of this post to make this easier)
- publicize this giveaway in any way on any site and let me know that you did (ex. adding it to a Mr. Linky on a giveaway site etc.)
This giveaway is open to readers in Canada and the USA. I will choose a winner on September 30, 2010.
Winner will be chosen with random.org and notified by email. Winner will have 48 hours to reply to my email or I will choose a new winner.