Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Chronological Study Bible review

This beautiful Chronological Study Bible arrived at my house last week and I wanted to tell you all a little bit about this beautiful book.

First here is a summary taken from the Thomas Nelson website:

The Chronological Study Bible is the only study Bible that presents the text of the New King James Version in chronological order-the order in which the events actually happened-with notes, articles, and full-color graphics that connect the reader to the history and culture of Bible times and gives the reader a dramatic, "you are there" experience. Features include translators' notes, full-color illustrations of places, artifacts and cultural phenomena, contextual articles that connect Biblical times and world history and culture, daily life notes, time panels and charts that show the flow of Biblical history and in-text and full-color maps.

  • The entire New King James Bible with translators' notes, arranged in chronological order-the order in which the events and writings actually happened, for absorbing and effective Bible study
  • Full-color illustrations of places, artifacts, and cultural phenomena that give the reader a dramatic, "you are there" experience
  • Fascinating articles that connect the Bible text to world history and culture
  • Daily Life Notes that explain how people lived in Bible times
  • Epoch Introductions and Historical Overviews that provide vivid chronological context
  • Transition Comments that set the stage and prepare the reader for the biblical text that follows
  • "Time Capsules" of world history that accompany the Bible text
  • Time Panels and Charts that show the flow of Bible history
  • In-text and full-page color maps of the biblical world
  • A handy scripture finder index that provides rapid access to any passage
  • Topical Index and Glossary to facilitate study

I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the Bible in this new format. I have always found it difficult to keep any sort of a biblical time frame straight in my head. For a long time I assumed that the stories happened in the order in which they appeared in the regular bible... the stories in Genesis were first, Exodus second, Leviticus third etc. I was rather disappointed when I found out this wasn't the case! When I was in bible school I remember in vain trying to map out some sort of time line for myself because I kept getting the biblical characters all mixed up! Like I said, I am a tad on the challenged side when it comes to these sorts of things.

The chronological study bible lays it all out for me! I loved it! There is massive amounts of extra information contained in this bible to help us understand the context of the Scriptures. The pages are beautiful to look at with lovely coloured maps and illustrations. The Chronological Study Bible would make a wonderful Christmas gift for the Bible lovers in your life this Christmas!

No comments:

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011