Thursday, November 12, 2009

O2 Author Interview


Interview with Richard Dahlstrom author of O2.

Richard Dahlstrom was one of my professors when I attended Capernwray Harbour Bible Centre many years ago (1993-1995). He was one of my favourite profs because he taught in such an easy to understand, down to earth way. His book is the same and definitely one I would recommend. You can read more about O2 and my review HERE.

Tell me a little about yourself and your family.

Married for 30 years to my best friend, and father of three. My oldest daughter teaches English in Seattle Public Schools, my son is packing up to move to Austria and teach skiing/snowboarding for the winter, and my youngest daughter is a Global Development major in college. We all still meet for lunch every Sunday, and there's always good conversation and laughter

Do you still teach at Capernwray? What is your favourite part of teaching?

Yes, I teach in various schools in North America and Europe every year. My favorite part of teaching is the contact with the students. Being a pastor of a large church in Seattle doesn't provide me the chance to spend much time with students, but when I'm on the road teaching, I eat three meals a day with students, and hang out a bit. It's a great chance to get to know the world of each new generation. I feel privileged to be able to do it.

How do you balance family / writing / pastoring etc.?

Writing generally energizes me because I enjoy the creative craft and the discipline of refining my thinking for print, which is different than preparing sermons. I write a little bit as part of my work, and a little bit as part of my free time.

What inspires you? What makes you laugh?

I'm inspired by art, be it music, film, literature, or visual arts, that make me see some truth in a profound, emotional way. I laugh at sarcasm, like Stephen Colbert, or commentary on the absurdity of American culture, like the Simpsons.

If you had access to a time machine where would you go? If you could live in another era when would it be? Why?

The more I think about this question, the more grateful I am to be right here, right now. We have access to the entire globe, ease of travel, public health, immense wealth, and the convergence of enormous problems which, I believe, will create an environment where there will be a worldwide resurgence of the gospel in the next 30 years. I don't want to go anywhere!!'

Who is your favourite writer and have you met them yet?

Daved James Duncan wrote, The Brothers K and The River Why, Both books moved me profoundly. I'd love to meet David sometime, but haven't had the privilege. I also enjoy Bill McKibben, who writes non- fiction about economic and environmental issues.

Do you have any plans in the works for writing another book?

I'm working on another book now, called, "Artisans of Hope" which is about our invitation from God to be people of hope right here, right now, even in the midst of the messes that sometimes intrude into our lives. I'm very excited about it.

You can follow Richard Dalhstrom on Twitter @raincitypastor
You can also read his blog Raincitypastor: God in the Mist .




No comments:

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011