Monday, March 16, 2009

One by Kathryn Otoshi

About the book-

One is a Winner in Reader Views Literary Awards Winners - 2008: Children - Toddler to 5 category!

Blue is a quiet color. He likes looking up at the sky, floating on waves, and splashing in rain puddles. Red is a hot head. He likes to meddle and show off. But most of all, Red likes to pick on Blue. The other colors, Green, Purple, and Orange, don't like what they see. But what can they do? When no one takes a stand, things get out of hand. Until someOne comes along and empowers the Colors to stand up, make a difference, and count!

In addition to learning about numbers, colors, and counting, One brings up key life lessons about boundaries, common courtesy, and standing up for yourself. Questions are raised, such as: "Why does Blue feel bad about being Blue?" and "What does it mean to COUNT?". Statistics show that when there is a school-wide commitment to end bullying, this kind of behavior can be reduced by up to an astounding 50%!

-taken from the website: www. justtakesone.com


MY REVIEW

This is a great book. I loved the beautiful bright colours. I loved the simplicity of the illustrations. I thought the storyline was a fabulous way of introducing the issue of bullying to kids. The illustrations were an absolute PERFECT enhancement to the storyline. One has a wonderful message and I think every school library, public library, and home library should own at LEAST one copy. My three kids all listened intently to this story when I read it to them. My sons (ages 5 & 6) and I were even able to have a brief discussion about bullying and what to do about it and how important it is to NEVER bully someone. I was impressed with how easily my sons understood the message of One. This really is a brilliant little book that is much needed in today's society.

No comments:

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011