Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Blue Notebook *review*


ABOUT THIS BOOK (taken from RandomHouse.ca)

An unforgettable, deeply affecting debut novel, The Blue Notebook tells the story of Batuk, a precocious fifteen-year-old girl from rural India who is sold into sexual slavery by her father. As she navigates the grim realities of Mumbai’s Common Street, Batuk manages to put pen to paper, recording her private thoughts and writing fantastic tales that help her transcend her daily existence. Beautifully crafted, surprisingly hopeful, and filled with both tragedy and humor, The Blue Notebook shows how even in the most difficult situations, people use storytelling to make sense of and give meaning to their lives.






MY REVIEW

The Blue Notebook is an absolutely riveting book. It broke my heart. It gave me a renewed sense of amazement at the resiliency of children. It gave me a renewed sense of disgust at how some adults treat those same children. I cried more than once while reading this book- but there was also some hope and that made me smile.

The Blue Notebook is incredibly well written. From the first sentence I was completely absorbed in the story. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Thanks so much to Random House Canada for sending me a review copy of this book.

1 comment:

fredamans said...

If it can stir that much emotion in one person it is definitely worth picking up! Fabulous review, I'm adding to my list.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011