Thursday, September 16, 2010

No fighting, No biting, No screaming



No Fighting, No Biting, No Screaming
How to Make Behaving Positively Possible for People with Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities
Bo Hejlskov Elvén
Fighting, biting, screaming and other behaviours that challenge the people dealing with them are often triggered by unsuitable surroundings or unrealistic demands. In this fresh and effective approach, Bo Hejlskov Elvén shows how identifying and adapting these problem areas can dramatically improve behaviour in people with autism and other developmental disabilities.

This practical book explains how to reassess difficult situations and offers easy and effective strategies for eliciting positive responses without resorting to restraint and punishment. Based on the successful low-arousal approach, it is a proven method of stepping away from distress and towards calm, improving the quality of life of everyone involved. Helpful examples covering a wide range of developmental disabilities from autism to Down's Syndrome illustrate the positive changes that can be achieved.

This empowering book will be invaluable to anyone attempting to deal with unproductive behaviour in individuals with developmental disabilities, whether at home or in a professional environment.


MY REVIEW

I really liked the ideas presented in this book... but the tone of the book felt condescending to me so I didn't particularly enjoy reading it. I'm not sure I could put my finger on exactly WHY it felt that way, just something about it made me feel like the author thinks that their way is the only right way to do things.

I appreciated all the examples the author gave and I did find the advice very practical. It was not a particularly easy read and it took me quite awhile to get through. I would have enjoyed No fighting, No biting, No screaming a lot more if it had been a bit more user-friendly.




Thanks so much to Jessica Kingsley Publishers for sending me a review copy of this book.

No comments:

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011